Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ignoring the Thirst

I get up again to fill my water bottle with fresh water, mentally counting how many ‘glasses’ that is so far today.

I’ve learned the hard way the cost of ignoring my body’s need for water, if I don’t stay hydrated migraines haunt me and cripple my ability to accomplish much of anything. So I keep a bottle by my side, have a checklist to make sure I’m drinking enough.

But my soul is crying out in thirst, and it’s so easy to ignore until I’m emotionally crippled, heart aching for refreshment. And I wonder why I snap for no reason, why I can’t seem to stay focused, why my heart feels tired, why my prayers have dried up like cracked soil. Without water, how can anything grow? Without His Word, how can I learn? How can I give? How can I love?

Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.”

~ John 4: 13 – 15

I can hear the desperation in her voice, because it is one I know well.

He is constantly working in us to sanctify, to wash away the dried up muck that collects and refresh us with His Love. Yet again I have become caught up in this world that does not matter, forgetting the real truth of His Word. I ache to let God choose my priorities, to walk with Him and join Him in His work. I cannot do those things without refreshing myself in His Presence and with His Word. I don’t want to be numb to my heart’s cry anymore. I want to be sensitive to His call on me, to ache to be near Him and know His voice through His Word.


Dearest One, will you join me? Today I’m in 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment