Friday, September 11, 2009

To Honor those Who Serve

(I know I usually post on Thursday mornings but I wanted to have something to honor Patriot Day, I apologize for the change in schedule ^_^)



A soft knock on my door woke me up, it was still too early to get up for school, I had at least another 20 minutes… but then I saw his face and I knew something was wrong.

That day was one of two times I have ever seen my father cry. As he sat on the edge of the bed and told me that our country had been attacked I saw tears gather in his eyes. That whole morning it felt like time stood still, starting school never even crossed our minds as we sat, glued to the television. The following weeks and months were a complete change from the country that I knew before, so much was different.

I didn’t know it at the time, but one of those working Ground Zero would someday have a face that I knew. My father-in-law was there, helping to serve as a chaplain for the police and emergency workers clearing the site of rubble and the deceased. He was there to listen to the stories, share the tears and pain, to provide strength so the multitude who served could grieve. He was a physical reminder that even in the chaos, the pain, and the confusion that God is still there with his arms outstretched to hold us as we grieve. Just a few years later he served again in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. And God placed him in my life as I went through my own personal storms before he officiated my wedding to his son. He is a man I greatly respect, someone who’s strength and grace in life constantly, quietly urges me to draw near to the Wonderful Counselor who gives all that we need.

All along our path in life God gives us these gracious people who have opened themselves up to reflect the beauty of their Savior, more often then not they are there quietly, just taking care of you in ways you may not even notice at the time. I encourage you to pray for them, to find a way to say ‘thank you’ and maybe someday you can return the favor.



As we remember Patriot Day, please take the time to pray for all our service men & women, our every day heroes of firefighters, police, chaplains, and military. They put their lives and hearts on the line every day so we can live safely and I ache for them to be blessed in return for their service.



I personally want to honor those in my life that serve:

- Don Higgins, father-in-law ~ Police Chaplain

- Andrew Higgins, brother-in-law ~ U.S.M.C. (LCpl)

- Steven Jones, cousin ~ U.S.M.C. ROTC



Please leave a comment with those in your life that serve or who you have lost in the line of duty and I will pray over each and every one, as you leave a comment, please pray for the one before. Let’s create a prayer chain, I can’t think of a better way to honor those who serve and protect us.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to my Papa who fought in World War II! This word is safer because of you! Love you Papa!

    ReplyDelete